You might be new to blogging or you might be blogging for a while. But, chances are you don’t know how to implement a good SEO strategy. This is primarily because almost everyone focuses more on Off page SEO than On-page SEO techniques.
Now, many of you might wonder what is the difference? and How does all this matter?
Think again! having a sound SEO strategy is very important if you want to rank better on all major search engines. Ranking better on search engines will drive more organic traffic to your blogs!.
So, What is the difference between On page SEO and Off page SEO?
Let’s summarize it:
On Page SEO deals with all things ON the blog/website. This includes factors such as page title, meta tags, meta descriptions, internal linking etc.
Off Page SEO caters to all actions or activities that you do offline to help rank your blog better. These include social network distribution, article submissions, forum marketing, etc.
On-page SEO techniques are highly relevant because they define and help search engine understand the content and context of your blog. So, let’s understand them better in this post.
10 On-Page SEO Techniques:
- Post and page titles – One of the most important factors of on-page SEO techniques are the uniqueness of your post and page title. Keyword specific page and post title are critical for you to rank better and show up better on search engines.
- Content on the page – Creating good content is critical to on-page SEO success and extremely important to search engines. Good content is defined by your post being a solution to a problem and highly linkable.
- Meta descriptions – Never forget to write your Meta description for every post or page. Meta descriptions should include all relevant keywords that define your content. This description is what will be seen in search results. Keeping it relevant will help bring you more traffic.
- Meta Tags – Meta tags are relevant keyword sets for your page or post. They are important because they describe the page content to the search engines. These are placed in the page code. If you are a WordPress user, you could easily use a SEO plugin to sort this out.
- URL format – The structure of your URL can be a deciding factor in your blog being search engine friendly. Shorter URLs are advisable. Also, your URL should include your targeted keyword. While working on your URL format consider focusing on permanent links being lesser than 255 characters, all your pages being grouped under categories, and the presence of breadcrumbs and user sitemap.
- Content format – one of the most critical on-page SEO techniques to follow is keeping your content adequately bifurcated. Keep smaller sections and paragraphs. Include keywords in headline tags and sub-headline tags. These are crawled by search engines to understand your page content.
- Keyword density – Search engines identify posts and pages based on keywords. Having relevant keywords on the page and having the right amount of density is important for your post or page to appear on relevant searches. Stick 2% to 3% keyword density as much as possible.
- Image Optimization – Your image titles are as important as your page titles. Focus on relevant Alt Text and Descriptions for your images to make them easily identifiable on search engines.
- Internal links – Search engines spiders are programmed to follow the links present on your page. Interlinking will help search engines crawl your site better and know more about your other posts and pages. Keep internal links to a maximum of 15 on your page.
- Speed and responsive design – Keep your website or blog optimized for page speed and mobile responsiveness. You will rank better if your blog can pass the Google page test and mobile responsiveness test.
Following these on-page SEO techniques gives you a better chance to rank better on Google. You may be have implemented some of these techniques already, but the goal is to focus on each one of these factors to rank better.
If you want to add more techniques to this list, feel free to drop me a line in the comments. Also, check out Basic SEO Techniques if you are a newbie.
More from my site